The Justice Team will focus on the effective, just and humane response to crime and it’s causes by providing for the effective integration into the community of those in conflict of the law. Will also provide services to those in contact with, or affected by the criminal justice system, and promote changes in the law and the administration of justice which will lead to more humane and effective treatment of our members. The justice program will also promote awareness of the problems and involvements in the delivery of management of justice-related programs. The Justice Team will promote and ensure of fair and humane treatment of it’s incarcerated persons and will work to ensure that all forms of detention and imprisonment comply with legal and human rights standards.
- Continued to work with Education and children in conflict with the law.
- Recruited and trained an additional 2 Ahtahkakoop Security.
- Helped families with critical issues and developed a strategy to deal with individuals banished from the Ahtahkakoop Cree Nation.
- Grand opening of the new RCMP Detachment constructed on the Ahtahkakoop Cree Nation.
- Hired a Restorative Justice Worker to work closely with members who are required to attend provincial court and family court.
- Work closely with the RCMP to crack down on party houses and drug dealers with the aim to improve the security and safety of the Ahtahkakoop Community (ongoing).
- Work with the Justice/Police Management Board to develop case plans for individuals who have been banished (BCR’d) from the community.
- Continue adult and youth mediations (ongoing).
- Offer Video-Court for members who are incarcerated (provincial institutions).
- Security guard training for 2 Ahtahkakoop Security officers.
- Chief and Council drafted BCRs to Provincial Courts to continue the Cree Circuit Court in Ahtahkakoop (ongoing).
- Develop traffic bylaws which will in turn generate revenues back to Ahtahkakoop (ongoing).
- Develop an Anger Management program for members who are interested.
- Facilitate the development of bylaws for the Ahtahkakoop Cree Nation (ongoing).
- Facilitate the development of Drug Court on the Ahtahkakoop Cree Nation (ongoing).
- Facilitate the development of Domestic Court on the Ahtahkakoop Cree Nation (ongoing).